Tuesday, November 4, 2008

32nd Birthday

Today is my birthday...I celebrate my 32nd! In some ways, its hard to believe that I am here...but as I reflect over the past years, I am grateful for who I am today, because of what God has done for me, my faith in Him as my Lord & Savior, and by the fact of how I have allowed Him to work in my life! I am grateful for my friends who have inspired me, supported me and encouraged me to stay on the path in that good fight of faith...birthday wishes received in form of cards, emails, ecards, text messages and phone calls...and I thank each of you for thinking of me on my special day!

My birthday started on Friday night, October 31st, when Judy Lane took me out for sushi at one of my favorite restaurants, Sushi Tao. Judy had not eaten it before, but she was definitely impressed and liked everything we ate. We split Miso Soup and the green salad with Ginger Dressing. We ordered the Sweet Potato Roll, the Cooked Roll combo which had three rolls: Eel Avocado Roll, California Roll, Shrimp with Asparagus Roll; then we also got the Mango Lobster Roll. We left and went to get a cup of coffee at the Starbucks on Hulen & Bellaire that has a fountain out front. We sat on a bench and visited for awhile before we called it a night.

Monday, November 3rd, Martha wanted to take me out for lunch...we went and ate at Charleston's on Hulen. I haven't been there in a long time. It is a nice, elegant restaurant and I had bake potato soup and salad. Martha ate a quesadilla. I then had a lovely dinner outside that night, Monday, November 3rd, on the back patio of the home of Tom & Deborah Thorpe along with attendees Gilbert & Connie Stogsdill. We had some yummy grilled chicken, rice pilaf, and salad with sugared pecans, dried blueberries & cranberries and snow peas at a table decorated with fall leaves and candles! The weather was cool but not too freezing to enjoy the November night in Texas. We snuggled up to the fireplace and enjoyed conversation and coffee until fresh fried doughnuts were ready to bite into! After much conversation and laughs, we broke up the lovely evening about 11:30pm and headed for our casas to call it a night.

I woke up today sick...my sore throat finally caught up with me...I hope this cold won't last. I got to work and the staff got me a cake called "Sock It To Me Cake", it was a a bundt like cake with cinnamon swirls and walnuts. I didn't have the heart to tell them that I was allergic to walnuts and couldn't eat it, but I don't think that they figured that out as I cut many of them a piece to eat! :)

P.S.
My birthday has been celebrated all week.

Thursday, November 6th
Perry (my boss) took me to lunch at Olive Garden. We had a nice time visiting and learning about each others family, how he met his wife, etc. He told me on the drive back to the office that he felt that I had mixed in with the office staff well and that he was greatly impressed and pleased with me. This was very much an encouragement to me...though I love my job, the enormity that was involved to get things back on track has sometimes made me wonder if I was anywhere close to achieving his wishes in the big picture.

Friday, November 7th
Lorrie Grove & Aunt Maryl took me to dinner at Red Lobster. We enjoyed a nice dinner and time of visiting. I was feeling really bushed from my cold at this point and went home for a hot bath and early night with Nyquil.

Sunday, November 9th
David & Charlotte Bishop took me to lunch at On the Border. We had a good time visiting and catching up. Charlotte is someone I look up to a lot and we enjoy a lot of the same things though we rarely spend time together. All 3 of us stuffed ourselves and couldn't finish our lunch! We then went to see Jill's newest addition to their family, Jack Peyton Woods. I didn't hold him since I have had a cold...but he sure was cute, nothing like Beau.


email from SparkPeople on my birthday:
Don't just count your years, make your years count. ~Ernest Meyers

What matters most in life is often viewed as peripheral to the things that we usually focus on. Passion takes a backseat to production, wellness to working, and balance to busyness. The old adage that "life is not a dress rehearsal" is so true, and yet we act to the contrary by putting off what is truly important or indulging in things that are not. On your birthday, stop focusing on your age and start meditating on your life at this exact moment. how can you make it better? During the next year, reshuffle your priorities. Spend more time with family and friends, take care of your body and health by eating well and exercising regularly, and offer to help others in need. Discover what matters most to you, and make your daily life into a true reflection of those ideas, beliefs and attributes.
HAVE A HAPPY AND HEALTHY BIRTHDAY! - Team Spark People

No comments:

Post a Comment