Friday, June 18, 2010

...tradition(s)

@dictionary.com the definition of tradition
the handing down of statements, beliefs, legends, customs, information, etc., from generation to generation, esp. by word of mouth or by practice; a long-established or inherited way of thinking or acting; a continuing pattern of culture beliefs or practices; a customary or characteristic method or manner

Growing up we had a few things that were traditions in my parents home.  One of them was homemade pizza EVERY Friday night.  As a child, I liked pizza, but wasn't just downright crazy about it...course you have to realize I had never eaten restaurant style pizza - homemade was all I knew.  But the one thing I did love about Friday Night Pizza was it was the only time we were allowed soda pop!  One glass, and usually it was Root Beer because that is what Dad liked, or we could have Pepsi as that is what Mom liked.  I didn't and don't care for Pepsi, so I either had Root Beer or Punch if I didn't want that.  As me and my sister grew older and assumed cooking responsibilities, pizza making became more fun.  We got to try other things besides a pepperoni pizza and hamburger meat pizza.  We My sister learned to make better pizza crust and it became a really fun project each week.  We rarely skipped having pizza on Friday nights, and when we did, Dad was always sorely disappointed.  Looking back at my childhood, this is a fond memory of a tradition we had.  So I ask...

What is tradition to you?  Did you or do you have traditions in your family?  Do you like them?  Abhor them?

2 comments:

  1. Let's see if I can figure out how to leave a comment... In our home growing up it was Wednesday night hamburgers. Either Dad stopped on the way home from work at a little place on Forest Park called Candlelight Hamburgers or Mom would fix them along with chocolate malts. It is a good memory to look back on. Especially Mom's chocolate malts. Yummmm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One summer our family painted the outside of the house. It was a long, tedious, will-it-ever-be-finished job and I just about hated it until Dad started getting slurpees from 7/11 every afternoon. Somehow that made it all bearable!

    ReplyDelete