Monday, May 16, 2011

what is a Friend to you?

I have been doing some thinking on what a Friend is to me.  What is one to you?  I have posted on this topic before, here and here and here.  But the question still comes up in my mind.  I am always working on my friendship, thinking about what I like about them, what needs improvement and how I can be a better friend.  


Friendships take work.  Friendships take commitment.  Friendships take time.  Friendships take honesty.  Friendships are a give and take.  Friendships take communication.


Are you committed to your friends?  Are friends just family?  Just people that reach out to you?  Do you communicate in your friendships or assume the person knows?  or understands?  Are you willing to be honest?  


There are a few verses (KJV) that come to mind, I am sure there are many more:
...and my familiar friends have forgotten me.  Job 19:14
And the Lord turned the captivity of Job, when he prayed for his friends. Job 42:10
...and a whisperer separateth chief friends.  Proverbs 16:28
...but he that repeateth a matter sperarateth very friends. Proverbs 17:9
A friend loveth at all times.  Proverbs 17:17
A man that hath friends must show himself friendly.  Proverbs 18:24
Weath maketh many friends.  Proverbs 19:4
Faithful are the wounds of a friend. Proverbs 27:6
Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend.  Proverbs 27:17
Trust ye not in a friend.  Micah 7:5
Go home to they friends, and tell them how great things the Lord hath done for thee, and hath had compassion on thee.  Mark 5:19
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13
You are my friends if you do whatsoever I command you.  John 15:14
...and he was called the friend of God.  James 2:23
...whosoever shall be a friend of the world shall be an enemy of God.  James 4:4


I am going to contemplate on this some more, but am curious what a friend is to you.  If you are willing to share, comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment