Tuesday, December 23, 2014

What does Ephesians 4:29 mean?

I shared a post on Facebook yesterday and got some comments because I used the term "bad ass".  Not the typical language people have heard from me.  But is the term bad?  Inappropriate?  Awful?  Shameful?  Sin?  

This term is modern slang to mean flat out incredibly awesome!  Could I have said this instead of bad ass?  Indeed.  I sure could have.  There are generally at least two ways to say something.

The term I used may offend you.  Every time you get offended do you call someone out on it?  Was my comment and post meant to offend you?  No, that was't my goal.  Could it have been taken that way?  Evidently of late, much of what I say and write is.  Does.  Why, I am not really sure, but its hitting the nerve with some.

The term may mean something different to you.  Every time you have a different interpretation of something, do you focus on making sure someone sees it the way you do and setting them straight?  Or do you try to understand and see something from their perspective?  Even if it goes against what you believe?

You may believe that this term is bad language.  Do you have grace to allow someone else bad language, either way?

You may believe that Ephesians 4:29 means I am out of line.  Let's think about this.

Don’t let even one rotten word seep out of your mouths. Instead, offer only fresh words that build others up when they need it most. That way your good words will communicate grace to those who hear them.

- The Voice

What is a rotten word?  What is a fresh word?  What is bad language?  What are words that build each other up?  Is this passage just about bad language?  Or is it more than that?  Maybe not even about bad language?  If you believe someones language is bad, where does grace come in?

I haven't always had this perspective, but as I grow to learn to grow and live in love and grace, not by rules or in a box, I want to be open to more than one way of looking at something and understanding exactly what God is asking of me.  To give love and grace.  In all things.

I don't have the answers.  I do things all wrong.  But I know in my heart and believe God knows exactly what I want to accomplish in my life and that He will lead and guide me to achieve this on my courageous journey in my walk with Him.  When I am not in line with His vision for me, I trust He will show me.  Gently. Lovingly.  Without a need to point out all my faults.  He knows I know I have them.  I know I have them.  Without a need to shove me out.  Shoving someone out of your life only creates division, not a connection.  Without calling me out.  Calling someone out on something generally only makes one defensive and put up walls.  

I am learning this.  The hard way.  May I learn to remove all rotten words and create fresh words that communicate love and grace.  At all times.

No comments:

Post a Comment